Policy Center for Roma and Minorities is a non-governmental, non-profit, think-tank organization founded in 2008 in Romania, which acts towards solving social inclusion related issues of Roma and other ethnic minorities.
The organization was established as a follow-up of Roma Diplomacy, a programme that had as a main purpose the creation of a highly qualified, articulate group of European Roma with diplomatic skills. For more information please visit www.diplomacy.edu/roma.
The birth of our organization was motivated by a number of existing documents and initiatives such as:
- the Council of Europe’s recommendation for a Roma think-tank
- an UN recommendation for Albania which also supports a similiar initiative
- the European Liberals and Democrats’ speech, offered by Graham Watson during the Roma Diplomacy Conference at the European Parliament, who said that he hopes Roma diplomacy will be at the foundation of such a think-tank
We believe it is the right of every human being to acknowledge and accomplish his or her potential, regardless the identity, ethnicity or minority group he or she is associated with or belongs to.
We act to empower Roma and other ethnic minorities so that they become active citizens of the society they live in and we act to stimulate the majority to actively participate in the social inclusion process.
Responsibility for our actions
Professionalism of our work
Innovative and creative thinking
Transparency of our decisions
Inclusion of Roma and other ethnic minorities
Policy Center for Roma and Minorities has three main focus areas:
- Social inclusion of Roma and other ethnic minorities
- Changing negative attitudes towards minority groups, with emphasis on Roma
- Promoting a proactive attitude towards societal issues and civic engagement
The main instruments we use to achieve our objectives are:
- Information and awareness raising campaigns
- Social policy proposals
- Public debates
- Position papers
- Media reviews
Our organization is a member of:
- ERGO (European Roma Grassroots Organisations Network)
- ENAR (European Network Against Racism)
- FARE (Football Against Racism in Europe)
- ERPC (European Roma Policy Coalition)
- FOND (Federația Organizațiilor Neguvernamentale pentru Dezvoltare din România)
- Rețeaua Socială RSC – Acționăm responsabil!